From Linux Checkpoint / Restart Wiki
Any task using inotify will cause sys_checkpoint() to return failure because the file its fd refers to lacks the .checkpoint file operation. See UncheckpointableFilesystems.
Issues, Solutions, Impacts
|Issue||Solution(s)||Current Impact||Solution Impact|
|Wait descriptors||Yes||None||Ugly (nothing new as far as inotify is concerned -- see existing comments in the code)|
|Event queue races||Unknown||None||Probably ugly|
- Wait descriptors refer to inodes but mentioning inode numbers in checkpoint images is forbidden.
- Use dentry aliases to find a path to store in the checkpoint image
- Change policy re: inode numbers in checkpoint images
- Add a flag passed from userspace indicating whether inodes should be allowed in the checkpoint image.
- Fail or fallback to dentry alias solution if the flag is missing
- Return some indication of whether there are inode numbers in the checkpoint?
- This affects the method used to checkpoint the filesystems.
- Races between filesystem checkpoint and event queue checkpoint.
- No solutions yet. fanotify may have this issue too.